Household Management Tip #2

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Every house has a cleaning cabinet, stocked with all the necessary cleansers and disinfectants. At one point, mine was overflowing into the garage. I looked like a hoarder of cleaning supplies, except every one was for a different purpose. I honestly though it was necessary to have a specialty cleaner for everything. It wasn't until after a hundred dollar shopping trip and countless times of gassing myself out with potent cleaners, that I knew there had to be an alternative.

As a collector of vintage home-management books,  I scoured the pages for articles on the best cleaning knowledge. And lo-and-behold, I read nothing about needing any specialty cleaner. In fact, most homemakers relied on three (yes, only three!) items. There was an all-purpose cleaner, window cleaner, and an abrasive cleaner. These were the foundation for a clean home. The staples necessary in everyone's closet. And the best part? They were cheap. Really cheap. I've listed the items below and have made a selection of my favorite products, as well as inexpensive and super easy DIY versions!

Cleaning Closet Staples

1. All-Purpose Cleaner
  • (Ready to Buy) Mrs. Meyers Lavender being one of my personal favorites. Useable on almost any surface, non-abrasive, and gentle around children and pets. Plus it instantly makes your house smell amazing!



  •  (DIY) 
    • 2 tablespoons of a mild dish-washing liquid
    • 2 cups of water
    • Mix together in a spray bottle. Voila!


2. Window Cleaner
  • (Ready to Buy) I previously used Windex religiously, but the chemicals began to irritate my skin and eyes, so I tried Seventh Generation. I've never looked back! This brand is fantastic and I surprisingly use much less than other brands! Seventh Generation is sustainable and eco-friendly, but more importantly wallet-friendly!

  • (DIY)
    • 1 part white vinegar
    • 1 part water
    • Mix together in a spray bottle.

3. Abrasive Cleaner
  • (Ready to Buy) Bon Ami is one of the best gentle abrasive cleaners on the market. It really works! Whenever my pots and pans are looking kind of dingy, I'll simply use this and they look practically new. Truly amazing stuff!
  •  (DIY) 
    • Baking Soda
    • Water
    • Combine and make a paste. Works great as cleaner and deodorizer!
So there you have it, just three items you need for use in your home and not one do you need to worry about around your children or pets! By switching to these three formula's I've not only saved time and money, but my cleaning cabinet is remarkably more organized! What could be simpler?



3 comments:

Knot Just Nautical said...

How funny! I just did a blog post on cleaning too!
We use Meyer's lavender cooktop cleaner and dish soap too, it smells so much nicer than those abrasive industrial strength cleaners. I'll be phasing out Windex and the like... i just don't like the environmental impact of throwing out cleaners that haven't been used yet.
Check out my blog too!! Xx Knot Just Nautical

HillaryPearl said...

Love, love, love Mrs. meyers and I feel so much better about using it around my kids!

Abbi Jordan said...

Wow this post looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Household Management

Post a Comment