Ring Shopping!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I didn't expect my first real post to be about ring shopping, but it is! Before I start rumors, let me elaborate. NO I AM NOT ENGAGED! (yet!). It simply was an available opportunity for the man and I to take a look at all the wonderful sparkly items at American Jewelery Company. As one of the premier Bakersfield jeweler's, this place had everything one could want: Rolex, Scott Kay, Roberto Coin, Tacori, they have everything! And in fabulous presentation.

Like most young women, I've had my dream ring built in my mind since childhood. It may have varied a little over the years but it has always been a simple solitaire with pave stones. In fact, for the last five-ish years I have been drooling over this exact Tacori setting.
I know that whatever comes my way, I will love. Big giant rock or not. Wedding rings are about a promise, not a material possession...but it sure would be nice to blind people while driving around town! Ha!

Speaking of Jewelry, do you know your four five C's?
  1. Color - Color is graded on a scale from D to Z, D being perfectly colorless and Z being a very light yellow. Any specialty diamonds (ie canary, chocolate, cognac, pink) are graded differently. Most well known jewelers, such as Tiffany & Co., do not purchase diamonds under I. 
  2. Cut - Referring to the facet of the stone. Probably one of the biggest "make or breaks" for a man. If you happen to choose the wrong cut, God help you. Always ask your potential fiance her preference, and PLEASE stay away from marquis. Those haven't been popular since...well...never! If you truly have no idea and simply must buy a diamond stick with the most popular choices, round and Princess.
  3. Clarity - This indicates the flaws present inside the stone. When setting, the natural handling may ding the stone causing minimal abrasions. This is completely normal, so when speaking of clarity is refers to the "internal clarity" only. This scale ranges from VVS1 and VVS2 (Very, very slight imperfections), to SI1 and SI2 (slight imperfections) and then to Imperfections 1 and 2. Noticeable imperfections with the naked eye will only start to really show until I1 and I2.
  4. Carat - So what exactly is a carat? It's exactly one fifth of a gram to be precise! So yes, math wizards a 5 carat rock would be 1 gram! And remember, a Carat may be a jewelers measurement for stone mass, but it does not always indicate size. This could depend on the several factors including density and once set, the cut can always make the stone appear larger.  
  5. CUTENESS - This is most important and never mentioned! It truly does not matter how perfect all the above are if the ring is not cute! No woman is going to wear something if it's hideous.
When it comes to buying a ring, there's no perfect science. You buy what you like (or in this case, what your potential fiance likes). Keep the budget in mind as well, because this is only the start of a long road of expensive purchases. More importantly, have fun! This should be an exciting time for the both you. Drink the free champagne and try on all the baubles you can! Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment